In this Podcast we discuss ( SPOILER ALERT )
- [03:10] Darcy Ida shares her motivation for becoming an entrepreneur.
- [04:24] Darcy talks about sourcing products from the far east vs the UK.
- [05:37] We learn what it’s like to balance being a mother, and starting a business.
- [09:17] Darcy shares how becoming hands off in certain areas, helped her business to grow.
- [13:55] We get advice on how as a mother, you can start delegating parts of your business.
- [14:59] We learn about the challenges Darcy faced, due to her background, gender and age.
- [18:33] Darcy explains how she used diversity in her business, to be an advantage.
- [19:45] On company culture: “I always say to people I am interviewing, I would never ask anyone to do something that I wouldn’t be prepared to do for my self.”
- [22:01] Darcy shares tips from what she learnt from “The Lost Art of Listening” (Link below)
- [22:32] We get more sales tips for anyone starting a business.
- [25:15] We learn how Ida Pod acquired Virgin as a client.
- [31:30] Darcy explains hows to peruse a business opportunity in where you may have no experience.
- [33:05] Darcy talks about her first sale.
- [ 37:46] We learn how you can prepare for building a relationship with your sales lead.
- [40:50] We get very in depth tips, on how to get around gatekeepers during a cold call.
- [45:00] We find out if we should leave a message when making a sales call.
- [46:45] Darcy talks about researching the technology behind Ida Pod.
- [48:00] Darcy explains when or if you should leave your job.
- [49:30] We find out what Darcy wished she knew, before she started.
- [50:38] Darcy shares her biggest failure.
- [51:40] We find out how “to-do” lists, help Darcy to achieve her goals.
- [53:22] Darcy lists her favourite motivational speakers, to help better your business or family life.
You will learn
- Sales tips, and how to handle gatekeepers while making cold calls.
- How to balance being a mother while growing your business.
- How diversity could be an advantage in business.
- Receive 10% off your first order with Ida Pod, by mentioning “Minority 101” while making your booking.
Links and resources mentioned
- More from Darcy Ida
- Recommended reading
- Recommended motivational speakers
Darcy challenges you to create a “things to-do list” for one month.
Create two separate lists on:
- Business / Entrepreneurial steps
- Personal goals.
Every week, for each list, write down 10 things you need to accomplish. For example, it could be as simple as:
- Reach out to 3 networking groups,
- Or research 3 companies in the field I am hoping to go into,
- Or speak to 4 friends and family members, to see if they have any suggestions on what direction you can take your business.
Tweet #DiversityAllStar to discuss the show on twitter or leave your comments below.
WANT TO LEVEL UP?
Join the other IntelliPink hustlers who get exclusive content
delivered into their inbox.
Kind regards, Lisimba.
P.S. If you liked this episode, I’d really appreciate it if your used the buttons below to share it with your friends. Thanks in advance.